Situated in the stunningly beautiful Boyne valley overlooking the River Boyne just a few miles upstream from the site of the famous Battle of the Boyne, Slane Castle in its existing form was reconstructed under the direction of William Burton Conyngham, together with his nephew the first Marquess Conyngham. The reconstruction dates back to 1785 and is principally the work of: James Gandon, James Wyatt and Francis Johnston. Francis Johnston, one of Ireland’s most distinguished architects, is responsible for the dramatic gothic gates on the Mill Hill.
The Conyngham’s are originally a noble Scottish family, and settled in Ireland in 1611 in Co. Donegal. There has been an active association between the Conynghams and the Slane Estate dating back over 300 years, ever since the property was purchased by the family following the Williamite Confiscations in 1701.
The present head of the Conyngham family is the eighth Marquess Conyngham.
In 1991, a disastrous fire in the Castle caused extensive damage to the building and completely gutted the Eastern section facing the River Boyne. With the completion of the 10-year restoration programme in 2001, Slane Castle has once again opened its doors, offering the perfect combination of old charm and modern day comfort.
Managed by Slane Castle Ltd, on behalf of the eighth Marquess Conyngham.